During the live broadcast around 5 p.m., Van Denton, the chief meteorologist for Nexstar’s WGHP (FOX8), said, “It’s over us. This is not the room we need to be in,” before saying he and anchors Neill McNeill and Katie Nordeen were evacuating the studio.
“In my 37 years working at FOX8, I have never experienced anything like that. I have never heard the roof rattle like that and we have never had to leave the studio in a broadcast like we just did,” McNeill said.
Thankfully, everyone at the station is safe.
There was no apparent structural damage to the building.
Storms that left splintered homes and broken trees across Alabama and Mississippi moved east Thursday across North Carolina but largely spared the Atlantic Coast states any significant damage.
No serious injuries have been reported in North Carolina.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Will your kids need to be vaccinated?
- Retired Col. Ralph Puckett to Best Ranger competitors: ‘You are the best our country produces’
- Fourth stimulus check: Nonprofit sees additional payments as vital
- 19-year-old man killed in collision with semi-truck on US Hwy 54
- WT’s Engler College of Business ranked No. 3 in value in the country