AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — One person is dead and another is in custody after a major wreck at Southwest 46th and South Parker Street.
It happened around 3:40 p.m.
Amarillo Police said a vehicle driven by an Amarillo man ran the red light going south on Parker Street and ran into an eastbound vehicle driven by George Kenneth Ulibarri, 58, of Amarillo.
Amarillo Police said the impact caused Ulibarri’s vehicle to hit a home on the 4600 block of South Parker.
After hitting Ulibarri’s vehicle, APD said the suspect’s vehicle hit a utility pole and flipped onto its side.
APD said the suspect ran from the scene.
Amarillo Police said DPS Criminal Investigation Agents had been looking for the suspect before the crash, as he was wanted on a felony assault warrant.
APD told us after the wreck, DPS Criminal Investigation Agents found the suspect near the scene hiding in a shed.
Ulibarri died on the scene.
The suspect was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries and was arrested on his Felony Warrant, Murder, and Accident causing Death.
Amarillo Police said the name of the suspect will be released once he is booked into jail.
The incident is being investigated by the Traffic Investigation Squad of the Amarillo Police Department.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Japan to decide on overseas fans attendance at Tokyo Olympics by end of month
- Video captures man hitting neighbor’s dog with machete after it attacked his pet pig
- LIVE: National security officials testify on Jan. 6 Capitol attack
- White House officials give COVID-19 update after Biden lays out new vaccine timeline
- ‘Forget your purse! Let’s go!’: Watch Florida deputies rescue 73-year-old woman from sinking car