AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — One person is dead after a wreck in south Amarillo.
It happened around 4:10 p.m. on I-27 between Georgia and 45th.
According to Amarillo Police, Rolando Martinez, 24, of Amarillo was driving on the inside lane of northbound I-27 when he rear-ended a Toyota Camry.
Amarillo Police said neither vehicle was able to exit the highway and stopped several feet forward in the same lane.
APD told us a truck was unable to avoid the stopped vehicles, hitting the Camry.
Martinez was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. The driver of the Camry was also transported with non-life-threatening injuries.
Officials said Martinez died as a result of injuries received in the collision.
The incident is being investigated by the Traffic Investigation Squad of the Amarillo Police Department.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- State health department says teachers still not a priority for COVID-19 vaccine
- Senate Republican leader McConnell offers support for power-sharing deal with Democrats
- Protests after video shows police car driving through crowd of pedestrians in Washington state
- Teen missing in 1983 identified as victim of Green River Killer
- GoPro found after 6 years at the bottom of Honolulu ocean returned to owner