(NEXSTAR) – Golf star Rory McIlroy hit a familiar spectator with an off-target shot at the Masters Tournament Thursday – his own father.
McIlroy, who has made no secret of recent struggles with his swing, was trying to get out of the trees on the par-4 seventh hole when he sent his iron shot flying over the fairway and struck the “fan” on the leg.
McIlroy’s caddie can be heard asking him, “That was your dad you hit?”
“Yeah!” McIlroy replies.
Aside from a couple of ginger steps, McIlroy’s father, Gerry McIlroy, didn’t appear to be badly hurt.
The elder McIlroy joked, “I should ask for an autographed glove,” after his son’s errant shot beat the odds and found him in the crowd, according to The Telegraph.
Rory McIlroy, who is still trying to win in Augusta, had a rough opening day at the Masters, finishing four over par.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Vitafusion recall: Select gummy vitamins, including kid’s melatonin, may contain metal mesh
- Meeting the Makers: Getting a Bottle of Horse Soldier Bourbon Signed this Weekend
- Spring Cleaning the Medicine Cabinet
- Amarillo Symphony Preparing for Live Shows
- Jason Boyett Discuss New Episode, Launch of Brick & Elm Magazine