The West Texas A&M women’s soccer scored its first upset of the season on Sunday afternoon at The Pitch. The Lady Buffs scored twice in the first half and did just enough in the second half to defeat No. 24 Texas A&M-Commerce, 2-1. Khadidra Debesette score in the 11th minute after a scuffle in front of the net. Rachel Herring scored what proved to be the game winner in the 23rd on a header on a long ball from Karyn Forbes. The Lady Buffs are back to .500 overall, 6-6-0 and currently sit second in the conference with a record of 3-2-0.
“I thought for the most part, the girls did well possessing the ball in the first half,” head coach Chad Webb said. “After you play such a high intensity game on Friday, it is hard to come back with the same intensity a day and a half later in the heat. I wish we would have done better in the second half. But anytime you can hold on to a lead, it’s a good thing. If you want to accomplish anything in a season, you have to win two games in a weekend.”
The Lions pressed to get an early goal with two shots on goal in the first ten minutes it was WT who would strike first. After Alejandra Dockery’s shot was deflected in the box, Debesette pounced on the loose ball and blasted it past the keeper. TAMUC continued to press the Lady Buffs backline earning two corners in the 22nd minute. In the 23rd minute, Forbes found a streaking Herring right outside of the box. Herring timed her header perfectly as she made contact with the ball right before Courtnie Northern collided with her. WT used its moment to cause more problems as both Ashlee Craig and Emily Cassady nearly tripled the lead right before half time.
The Lions got one back in the 54th minute when Taylor Rhodes got on the end of a Vicky Back corner. TAMUC controlled the ball for most of the second half but were unable to get many quality chances. The Lions best chance to tie the game came in the 76th minute when Back got on the end of a through ball but placed her shot wide of the goal. WT’s lone shot on goal in the second half came from Brady Prescott in the 50th minute. Prescott caused problems for the Lions as they were unable to contain her burst of speed.
Herring’s perfectly timed header in the 23rd minute floated over TAMUC’s Courtnie Northern for what proved to be the winning goal.
– Ashlee Craig and Khadidra Debesette lead the team with two shots, while Craig had two on goal.
– McKynzie Zick made a match-high five saves facing 14 shots.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
– Rachel Herring picked up her team-high second game winning goal of the season.
– The Lady Buffs played a total of 14 players, which is the least amount played in a match this season.
– McKynzie Zick picked up her first sixth career victory and first in a match when she allows a goal.
NEWS & NOTES
– WT owns an all-time record of 20-11-2 against Texas A&M-Commerce.
– In their six wins this season, the Lady Buffs have outscored their opponents 16-2.
– The Lions goal in the 54th minute marked the first goal the Buffs have conceded a goat at home.
– Chad Webb improves his record to 2-8-2 against teams ranked in the top 25.
The Lady Buffs will host Midwestern State on Oct. 16 at 7 p.m. at The Pitch. After a showdown with the Mustangs, WT will host No. 5 Angelo State on Oct. 18 at 1 p.m.