Editor’s Note: The video above is from the Tigers upset victory over state-ranked Malakoff in the state quarterfinals two weeks ago.
MT. VERNON, Texas (KETK) – After just two years at the helm, Art Briles has resigned as the head football coach at Mt. Vernon. The announcement was made Monday morning on the school’s Facebook page.
“After coach 42 games of football from Florence, Italy to Mount Vernon, Texas in the last 22 months, I respectfully resign as head football coach and athletic director of the Mount Vernon Tigers.”Art Briles
Briles was a surprise hire by the school district back in May 2019. He had previously been fired back in 2016 in wake of the football program’s sexual assault scandal.
It is unknown as of this writing if Briles will be pursuing a different head coaching job at the high school or college level.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- TCU coach says he’s COVID-19 positive, Longhorns game at TCU postponed
- Applying Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s messages to current times
- New mural goes up in downtown Wichita
- President Trump’s final hours in office expected to be non-traditional
- Four people injured after multiple shootings in Monroe County