WHITE ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND (NBC NEWS) — Footage posted on social media showed a large plume of ash rising into the sky following an eruption on a small New Zealand volcanic island.
Michael Schade uploaded video of Monday’s eruption on White Island on his Twitter page.
The eruption happened while dozens of tourists were exploring the island.
Five people are dead and many more are missing.
The site was still too dangerous hours later for police and rescuers to search for the missing.
Both New Zealand and overseas tourists were among the injured.
Already people are questioning why tourists were still able to visit the island after scientists recently noted an uptick in volcanic activity.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- 47 Years On The Run: Former Cop Helps Track Down Man Who Shot Him
- APH: 28 new COVID-19 cases, 54 recoveries reported in the Amarillo area
- Plane skids off runway in India; 14 killed, dozens hurt
- League to register voters at Amarillo Community Market
- Electrical issue leads to discovery of multi-million-dollar marijuana operation in Massachusetts