WHITE ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND (NBC NEWS) — Footage posted on social media showed a large plume of ash rising into the sky following an eruption on a small New Zealand volcanic island.
Michael Schade uploaded video of Monday’s eruption on White Island on his Twitter page.
The eruption happened while dozens of tourists were exploring the island.
Five people are dead and many more are missing.
The site was still too dangerous hours later for police and rescuers to search for the missing.
Both New Zealand and overseas tourists were among the injured.
Already people are questioning why tourists were still able to visit the island after scientists recently noted an uptick in volcanic activity.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Twitter permanently bans My Pillow CEO
- 1 dead, several critically injured after a tornado in Alabama
- Judge: Charges still stand against pastor Tony Spell for violating COVID-19 crowd limits
- ‘THIS IS ME’: Rioters flaunt involvement in Capitol siege on social media
- Here’s why the lights were out at the Washington Monument on Sunday night