FAIR HAVEN, Vt (NEWS10) — The Mayor of Fair Haven, Vt announced their intention to run for a second term on Thursday, along with the details an impressive fundraising haul. The only complication… Mayor Lincoln is a goat.
Lincoln the goat’s position is purely honorary. No, she’s not required to sign any bills or balance any budgets. She was elected into the position in 2019 as part of a fundraiser dreamed up by Town Manager Joseph Gunter to build a new playground.
The playground was over 20 years old and the town hoped to raise $80,000 to bring a much-needed refresh.
The Fair Haven Police Department announced on Friday that in her first term, Lincoln has raised a total of $3247 toward the new playground. $1540 from a GoFundMe page, $150 from greeting constituents at a town parade, and $1457 from t-shirt sales.
In its announcement on Friday, the Bovid mayor’s campaign highlighted the Lincoln administration’s focus on strict fiscal discipline during its first term.
The campaign claimed a search of the town budget would turn up:
- Money spent on grain: $0
- Money spent on hay: $0
- Tax increase for the playground: $0
“The citizens of Fair Haven have only one question to ask themselves, ‘Under Mayor Lincoln, am I better off today than I was a year ago?'” said Mayor Lincoln’s administrative assistant Sally Stanton. “VOTE GOAT!”
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Boys high school basketball area round scores
- Dean of Texas Tech School of Veterinary Medicine gives update on school’s progress
- Special Olympics Texas Panhandle Area Basketball competition kicked off this evening
- John Harris talks about tomorrow’s training with the National Weather Service; You can watch it live at home
- Four girls high school basketball teams from our area advance to the regional finals