Walmart’s ‘New Year, New You’ event offered free wellness services and resources nationwide to help customers save money and live healthier on Saturday, Jan. 12.
Walmart had the goal of providing 3 million flu shots this year. Along with flu shots, Walmart offered free health screenings, low-cost immunizations, free vision screenings where available, and an opportunity to talk with a local pharmacist and other health and wellness professionals to help get people ready for the New Year.
Screenings that were available along with other offerings included:
- Free total cholesterol screenings, as well as blood pressure, blood glucose and BMI testing
- To promote healthy eating, hundreds of thousands of free apples and mandarin oranges from Walmart’s produce department will be distributed.
- Details on ZP Challenge, a program that began with Walmart associates, which encourages anyone to compete for a chance to win cash prizes by making daily better choices in the areas of fitness, family, food and money, will be available.
- 9,235+ healthy product demos, samples, and recipe events in select stores from vendors like Del Monte, Dannon Light & Fit, Equate and V8.
- Virtual tools from third-party organizations to be featured, including the ability to check your body’s true age based on health factors with Sharecare Real Age, and Fresh Tri, a service to influence better-eating habits.
This event was available in all Walmart stores.
Many insurance companies covered the cost of flu shots, but if they did not, the price ranged but started at around $39.