DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – The Dayton Police Department released the names of the nine victims that were killed in the Oregon District mass shooting early Sunday morning, in addition to confirming the name of the suspect.
Connor Betts, 24, was identified as the shooter by Dayton Police. He was killed in the incident. Among the victims is Betts’ sister, Megan Betts, 22, according to Dayton Police.
The nine victims have been identified as:
- Lois L. Oglesby, 27
- Megan K. Betts, 22
- Saeed Saleh, 38
- Derrick R. Fudge, 57
- Logan M. Turner, 30
- Nicholas P. Cumer, 25
- Thomas J. McNichols, 25
- Beatrice N. Warren-Curtis, 36
- Monica N. Brickhouse, 39
The aunt of one of the nine people killed in a mass shooting in Dayton says her nephew known as T.J. was a “gentle giant.”
Donna Johnson tells the Dayton Daily News that Thomas McNichols was tall, well-loved and “like a big kid.”
She says McNichols used to take family members to the movies when big films hit theaters.
McNichols, a 25-year-old father of four, was living with Johnson in Dayton.
Damon Davenport, who identified himself as McNichols’s cousin, had strong words for President Donald Trump.
“My cousin’s did not deserve to lose their life,” Davenport said. “They have children. Hardworking people. All they was doing was enjoying a night on the town, and they’re dead. Never to come home again, never to see their family again. They’re gone. And I want the president to hear this. Donald Trump, I want you to hear this. You need to be here right now. You need to.”
The outlet reports the two ate licorice together after he got off work at a factory Saturday before he and a cousin left to go to a popular entertainment district.
Police say the gunman killed his own sister and eight others in the area at about 1 a.m. Sunday.
- Japan to decide on overseas fans attendance at Tokyo Olympics by end of month
- Video captures man hitting neighbor’s dog with machete after it attacked his pet pig
- LIVE: National security officials testify on Jan. 6 Capitol attack
- White House officials give COVID-19 update after Biden lays out new vaccine timeline
- ‘Forget your purse! Let’s go!’: Watch Florida deputies rescue 73-year-old woman from sinking car