UPDATE: Texas Rangers & Dalhart Police Investigating 14-Month-Old’s Death


Questions still remain about the death of a 14-month-old boy in Dalhart.

Police said the child died from 2nd and 3rd-degree burns to the lower part of his body.

Officials told us after spending 30 minutes at the local hospital in Dalhart, the child was flown to the University Medical Center Burn Unit in Lubbock where he died last Monday, January 8.

Police said they were investigating the incident as an injury to a child, but when the boy died, the 69th Judicial District Attorney’s office, as well as the Texas Rangers, were notified about the incident.

It is now a joint investigation with the Dalhart Police.

Police confirmed there was also a second infant death tied to the same family, a younger brother of the 14-month-old, but we are told that child died due to natural causes and the case has been closed.

An autopsy was performed on the 14-month-old infant at the Texas Tech Medical Examiner’s Office in Lubbock. We reached out to them for results, but they told us they are not available yet based on what the pathologist is looking for. 

Police said the cause of the burns or the death of the child are unavailable at this time since this is an on-going investigation.

“Check the temperature of your water. Test your water heater. Check your water temperature before putting your own skin or your child’s skin or anything like that into it. Be safe in your own home,” said Dalhart Police Chief David Conner.

Although Chief Conner will not say if the injuries were due to a hot bath, he said preliminary results show the baby died from injuries from his burns involving hot water.

Officials have not released the name of the child at this time. 

They are still investigating if it was an accidental or intentional burn to the 14-month-old.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Video Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss