AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Amarillo Police Homicide Unit has substantially completed the investigation into the incident and no criminal charges can be filed in the shooting death of a 7-year-old boy.
Police officials say it was determined that the 9-year old child burglarized a home in the neighborhood, obtaining the gun. A short time after the burglary, the 9-year-old shot the 7-year-old victim.
There is no evidence an adult made the firearm available to any of the children.
The child death investigation will be presented to the 47th District Attorney’s Office for review per APD policy.
Texas law does not allow for anyone under the age of 10-years-old to be held criminally responsible for a crime.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Border Democrats vow to hold Biden accountable on his pledge to not build ‘another foot of wall’
- It’s not December yet, but Elf on the Shelf 2020 is already very different
- World-renowned opera singer Renée Fleming using music to help those suffering from neurological disorders
- Teen nearly dies after getting syndrome tied to COVID-19
- ‘Viral shedding’: What is it and when are people with COVID-19 most infectious?