AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — A jury found Gregorio Moreno Navarrete guilty for the June 17, 2018 murder of Rene Soto.
In June of 2018, Gregorio Navarrete drove to Rene Soto’s house and shot him from the street while he was standing in his doorway. Soto died due to his injuries.
Navarrete went on the run and was eventually tied to the homicide. During the trial, Navarrete admitted to shooting Soto, but claimed self-defense.
After deliberations, the jury found him guilty of Murder.
During the punishment phase, the State introduced evidence of prior misdemeanor and felony convictions, as well as a current pending charge of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon in an unrelated incident. After deliberations, the jury returned a sentence of 70 years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Video shows fighter’s incredible knockout kick in first-ever MMA fight
- Man accused of buying $58K SUV with stolen ID, posing for photo at dealership
- Amarillo City Council held a special meeting at the Civic Center
- Lawmaker charged for opening Oregon Capitol doors to protesters a no-show at first hearing
- Police: Colorado Springs shooting suspect killed 6 after not being invited to a family party