(CNN) — Wednesday is a great chance to enjoy a particularly delicious treat – an empanada.
That’s because it’s National Empanada Day observed every year on April 8th.
Empanadas consist of fried, folded dough or bread containing a seasoned stuffing.
The stuffing can be a wide variety of things from vegetables or fruit to meats and cheeses.
According to nationaldaycalendar.com, the name comes from the Portuguese and Spanish verb “em pandar,” which means to wrap or coat in bread.
The website also indicates that the pastry dish goes back centuries citing a recipe found in a cookbook from 1520.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Amarillo Police: One male in custody after standoff in Southeast Amarillo
- Spirit Unbroken: Quinten Wilson
- US declined to prosecute Trump transport chief after inspector general review
- Gov. Kelly to sign bill helping cities facing sky-high energy costs from winter storm
- UPDATE: Man shot dead after firing weapon at law enforcement officials in Abbeville