Here Come Area High School Graduations, and Mom and Dad are freaking OUT! Belinda shares some tips on how to deal with this family transition.
How can parents cope?
– Step back. Focus on being proud instead of trying to hang on.
– Participate. Attend senior functions, college parent orientations, etc.
– Be available. Talk, but more importantly, listen, to your senior’s hopes and fears.
The Evolution of Relationship
– You will still hold some responsibility.
– Enjoy as the parent/child relationship blossoms to one of equality at both an adult and friendship level.
Time for the kids to start making their decisions.
– What they want to do after high school (military, college, etc.)
– What they want to do for careers. Parents cannot force a career on a kid. Let them do what makes them happy.
-Continue to be a support for your kid when they are away. Set up regular times for contact and be sure and keep them in the loop with family events/ activities.
This Week’s Parenting Challenge: Take the time to cope. Allow and encourage your spouse to cope as well.