Mother’s Day Brunch with The Drunken Oyster: Orange Ricotta Pancakes
Recipe adapted from the Breslin NYC
Orange Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Ricotta Topping Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla paste
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fine white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta V
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Toasted almond slices, for serving optional
Orange Syrup Procedure:
1. zest from one orange. long strips
2. In a saucepan of boiling water, blanch the zest for 30 seconds. Drain and repeat.
3. In the saucepan, simmer the orange juice, sugar, water and blanched zest until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
1. In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
1.in a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda.
2. In another large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg yolks, and ricotta.
3. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. In a large, clean stainless steel bowl beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold them into the batter.
4.In a large cast-iron skillet, heat a thin film of vegetable oil.
5. Drop in 1/4-cup dollops of batter and cook over moderately high heat, 2 minutes per side, until golden and fluffy.
Serve about 3 pancakes per person and top with orange syrup and ricotta.
The Drunken Oyster
7606 SW 45th Ave.