The Drunken Oyster: Arepas
Colombian side dish Vegetarian Corn Fritters
- 1 cup finely ground white or yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet corn kernels (or frozen kernels, thawed)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 3 Tbsp oil
Optional Toppings: sour cream, cilantro, salsa, Pineapple salsa, shredded chicken or pork, guacamole, smoked salmon
1. Add cornmeal, salt, and cheese to a large bowl. Stir to combine, and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium heat just before it simmers. Add butter and stir until it is melted. Remove from heat.
3. Pour milk mixture into cornmeal mixture. Stir until a thick batter is formed.
4. Fold in corn, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeño.
5. Let batter rest for 15 minutes. It will form a soft dough.
6. Gently form dough into 3 to 4-inch balls, and flatten them into discs with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
7. Heat oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, cook the arepas for 5 minutes on one side over medium heat. Once golden brown, flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Remove from skillet to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve warm with butter or sour cream on top or topping of choice, these are great for breakfast lunch or dinner.
The Drunken Oyster
7606 SW 45th Ave.