BAY CITY, Texas (CNN) — Authorities in Texas say the mother of a child found dead last month left that child and her two others alone at home to go to a bar.
According to police, 26-year-old Lauren Dean left her home on January 30th.
An officer went to the apartment the next day on a CPS welfare check.
Dean invited an officer in, but when they checked on seven-year-old Jordynn Barrera they found her dead.
Barrera had been bedridden and non-communicative.
She had down syndrome and cerebral palsy and was on a feeding tube.
Dean is facing charges including abandonment and endangering a child.
Her two other children were removed from the apartment.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- WTAMU Engler College of Business Ranks No. 2 by TFE Times
- Amarillo native, Texas Tech alum living in China during coronavirus outbreak
- Arkansas police officer volunteers for “daddy-daughter dance”
- Video of Arkansas boy and his rescue pup goes viral
- Amarillo College hosting film and panel discussion to focus on race relations since Civil Rights era