HOUSTON (CW39) – A woman who has been on the run for more than 10 years is being added to the to the Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitives list. The Texas Department of Public Safety says 62-year-old Margaret Lorrain Smith has been wanted since 2009 for fleeing during capital murder case. She was indicted for hiring a man to kill her husband, George Smith on August 6, 2007. According to investigators, Smith lured him to Surfside Beach late at night and left him sitting in the sand as the man she hired beat George to death with a metal object. The man she hired was also indicted for capital murder in September 2007 but while her co-defendant was convicted, she fled the Brazoria County area while on bond.
Smith was last seen on a video in the San Antonio area. The images show her getting into a maroon four-door sedan that’s possibly a Lincoln Continental. Smith is 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs about 185 pounds and has a mole on the bottom of her right eyelid. Investigators say she often dyes her naturally dark, curly hair or wears wigs and she also went by the name Margaret or Lorrain. Texas Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $7,500 for information leading to her arrest.
To be eligible for a cash reward, the following three methods must be used:
- Call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252 TIPS (8477)
- Submit a web tip through the DPS website by selecting the fugitive you have information about and the clicking on the link under their picture.
- Submit a Facebook tip by clicking the “SUBMIT A TIP” link (under the “About” section)
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Wesley Community Center opening new location on south side
- Mississippi man spends 15 hours in Waffle House after losing fantasy football bet
- ‘Holidays are not healing’ says Texas history professor as Juneteenth becomes national holiday
- WHO accused of sexism for suggesting women of ‘childbearing age’ shouldn’t drink
- Video: Young children caught between masked gunman, victim nearly shot on New York sidewalk