ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (NBC NEWS) — A Navy Midshipman died during a fitness test at the U.S. Naval academy.
The academy identified the Midshipman third class as 21-year-old Duke Carrillo of Flower Mound, Texas.
Officials said in a news release that Carrillo collapsed Saturday during the 1.5-mile run portion of the Navy’s semi-annual physical readiness test.
Officials say Carrillo was rushed to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he later died.
The academy says the circumstances surrounding the cause of his death are under review.
Carrillo was a quantitative economics major and a member of the Naval Academy’s Flight Training Squadron.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- TCU coach says he’s COVID-19 positive, Longhorns game at TCU postponed
- Applying Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s messages to current times
- New mural goes up in downtown Wichita
- President Trump’s final hours in office expected to be non-traditional
- Four people injured after multiple shootings in Monroe County