AUSTIN (KXAN) — A man in his late 90s is the first death from COVID-19 in Texas, according to Matagorda County officials.
He died Sunday evening at Matagorda Regional Medical Center with symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Later on Monday, hospital officials received confirmation that he tested positive.
He was a resident of the county, officials said, and they are investigating a possible community link to an earlier positive case in the county. That case was a woman in her 60s.
“Texas Department of State Health Services continues the investigation into the first patients’ health history and travel,” Matagorda County Emergency Operation Center wrote in a release.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Area high school football teams still eyeing State Championship
- Area volleyball teams making push in playoffs
- Disney honors Chadwick Boseman’s birthday with special ‘Black Panther’ opening
- NHP: Motorcyclist dies in suspected DUI crash on US 95 and I-15 SB transition ramp
- Dr. Scott Atlas resigns as coronavirus adviser to President Trump