WHEELER COUNTY, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, a car crash in Wheeler County left one person dead and one person with non-life-threatening injuries.
TxDPS said the incident occurred on Monday around 2:40 p.m. on I-40 about 10 miles west of Shamrock.
The driver was traveling at an unsafe speed for the road conditions and lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle left the roadway and traveled into the south barrow ditch and began to rollover.
The vehicle rolled over across the barrow ditch and south service road before coming to a stop on its roof.
According to TxDPS, the crash resulted in the death of Gary McSperitt, 67, of Elk City, Oklahoma. He died on the scene.
Mary McSperitt, 69, of Elk City, Oklahoma, was transported to Shamrock General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The crash remains under investigation.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Hospital leaders: Some COVID patients returning with worse symptoms after initial treatment and discharge
- A Bayou Classic Story: The First Lady of the “World Famed” Tiger Marching Band
- Patient hospitalized for COVID-19 plays violin to thank caregivers while intubated
- Former dog owner sleeps at animal shelters, comforting pets waiting for forever homes
- A previously busy holiday for movie theaters may be different due to the pandemic