(NBC News) A massive cyberattack allowed hackers to take control of the accounts of some of Twitter’s most famous users Wednesday.
President Obama, Bill Gates, Vice President Joe Biden and Elon Musk were just a few of those targeted as part of a scam seeking Bitcoin transfers.
“It has all the classic elements of a scam they’re using this to transfer their money over to this account,” says NBC Senior Media Reporter Dylan Byers.
Each of the tweets urged users to send bitcoin to a specific address, promising it would be paid back twofold.
Several hundred people responded, sending in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Read more: https://nbcnews.to/30vqAXh
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- Here’s the story behind those electrified ‘e-shields’ authorities were carrying during Memphis protests
- Demand Justice group buys Amy Coney Barrett’s domain name, site redirects to criticism of her record
- PTSD after COVID-19: ‘No doubt’ it’ll happen,’ says NIMH director
- Brain-eating amoeba detected in Lake Jackson water supply, residents should not use tap