(NBC News) A massive cyberattack allowed hackers to take control of the accounts of some of Twitter’s most famous users Wednesday.
President Obama, Bill Gates, Vice President Joe Biden and Elon Musk were just a few of those targeted as part of a scam seeking Bitcoin transfers.
“It has all the classic elements of a scam they’re using this to transfer their money over to this account,” says NBC Senior Media Reporter Dylan Byers.
Each of the tweets urged users to send bitcoin to a specific address, promising it would be paid back twofold.
Several hundred people responded, sending in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Read more: https://nbcnews.to/30vqAXh
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- WT teams shine at Reined Cow Horse Contest
- SXSW Online: George W. Bush, Pete Buttigieg, Don Lemon join roster of keynotes and speakers
- Albuquerque woman locks herself in NMSP station bathroom
- NMHSD offering counseling service to help New Mexicans cope with COVID-19 pandemic
- Third stimulus checks: Key vote coming that will impact $1,400 payments