UPDATE 5:34 P.M. — TxDOT Childress said all lanes have re-opened.
We are still waiting for comment from officials on what exactly caused the closure.
UPDATE 5:25 P.M. — According to TxDOT Childress, the eastbound lanes have re-opened, but the westbound lanes are still closed. Westbound is expected to open within the next 30 minutes.
WHEELER COUNTY, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — A SWAT team is responding to a situation in Wheeler County, that according to TxDOT Childress.
According to the Wheeler County Sheriff’s Office to a police incident on I-40.
DPS Sgt. Cindy Barkley said DPS Troopers are assisting the sheriff’s office with the incident.
According to TxDOT officials, DPS Troopers have closed I-40 from Lela mile marker to 157 to Shamrock mile marker 163 .
They said eastbound I-40 traffic in Wheeler is being rerouted to FM 1547 to East FM 1036 to Noth US 83 back to Shamrock.
Westbound I-40 traffic will be rerouted north on US 83 to W FM 2473 to S FM 453 back to I-40.
I-40 frontage roads in the area are closed.
We are working to get more information and will update when it is made available.
This is a developing story. Stay with MyHighPlains.com for the latest.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Possible Storms toward eastern counties
- City of Lubbock confirms first COVID-19 death
- Texas DPS to screen travelers coming from quarantined areas
- ‘I’ve Never felt like this ever’: Iowa man shares his experience with COVID-19
- Checkpoints set up along Florida-Alabama border to keep COVID-19 from spreading in the sunshine state