AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) —The holiday season will be full of reuniting for some, and for those who have senior-aged parents, there are some things you need to be on the lookout for when you go to their home.
Click here for more about Smooth Transitions West Texas and the services they offer.
Ask parent’s wishes before a health crisis
· Tell them you need to know to honor their wishes
§ Stay in home with healthcare?
§ Go to assisted living?
· Legal documents in place
Observe Living Conditions
· Tidiness of home
· Disheveled appearance
· Clear pathways
· Countertop clutter, spills not cleaned up
· Lighting, dark = daylight bulbs
Note Safety Issues
· Open refrigerator and panty
§ Expired, rotten food
· Open bathroom cupboards
§ Expired medications
§ Different name
· Getting mail
· Damage to vehicle
· Paper/magazine piles on floor
· Burnt out lightbulbs
· Tattered electrical cords
· Cords across pathways
· Old space heater
· Home repairs needed inside and outside