The adolescent brain is dynamic, open, hungry, creative, brave, and curious. It’s designed to drive through transition.
What we need to know about the teen brain:
– Brain is Changing: It has enormous capacity to influence the change (spend time doing things want to be great at- every experience will have some change in brain)
– The brain is a high performance sports car, but breaks are not ready yet (the logical part of brain is not fully developed until age 24)
– Hello hormones. The brain will need time to adjust to this flood of chemicals. It’s important to manage all feelings associated with this.
– Brain is an open window. Expose it to good will thrive; expose it to bad will “slam shut”.
– Vulnerable to addiction. Flooding of Dopamine ( the feel good brain chemical) is very powerful.
– Rebellion is ripe for the picking. It’s open to experience and courage at an all-time high.
– Get sleep. It’s a super power.