AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) – April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and Family Support Services is hosting a number of events to bring awareness to those who have survived a sexual assault.
Crisis Services Director Kathy Tortoreo is running 10 miles a week in April to complete “40 for Survivors” and she’s inviting others to “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” by posting pictures on social media.
Also coming up on April 17th is the “Paws for Consent/Cats Against Cat-Calls Day” encouraging people to post photos of their pets.
Then on April 28th it’s Wear Denim Day.
For more information on FSS click here.
Below are some statistics sent to us from Family Support Services.
· Every 73 seconds an American is sexually assaulted.
· One out of 6 American women is the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.
· Females ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
· Women ages 18-24 who are college students are 3 times more likely than women in general to experience sexual violence. Females of the same age who are not enrolled in college are 4 times more likely.
· One out of 10 rape victims are male.
— statistics from RAINN – the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization.
Family Support Services:
· Provided advocacy for 386 sexual assaults in 2020, including 231 for children at The Bridge.
· Served 462 sexual assault survivors in 2020.
Continued to provide virtual and in-person services including legal and medical advocacy, support groups, case management, and access to the Emergency Safe House and Crisis Hotline.