At this time of year the area sees many storms that can leave varying degrees of damage for area residents and businesses. Always call the BBB to check on a company and beware of companies who do not have your best interests in mind; those who will take advantage of an already difficult situation.
Unfortunately, dishonest companies will pop up and try to make some easy money when people’s guards are down. How do you know who to Trust? Sometimes, the best way to tell the difference between a legitimate company and a con is to take a look at the company’s track record at the BBB.
Tips to protect yourself, your property and your family:
– Ask to see the company’s license from your City’s Code Enforcement or Building Safety department.
– Shop around for contractors, get competitive bids.
– Check with your insurance company about policy coverage and filing requirements.
– Don’t be pressured into making an immediate decision.
– Be wary of door-to-door workers who claim your home is unsafe. If you are concerned about possible structural damage in your home, have an engineer, architect, or building official inspect it.
– Prepare a written agreement with anyone you hire. It should outline the work to be done, the materials to be used, and the price breakdown for both labor and materials. Review it carefully before signing. NEVER SIGN A BLANK CONTRACT!
– Never pay for all repairs in advance, and don’t pay cash.
– Never pay in full until all work is completed.
– Contact the BBB at www.bbb.org/amarillo or 806-379-6222 for a list of accredited businesses in the industry you are shopping in.
Better Business Bureau
600 South Tyler, Suite 1300