LUFKIN, Texas – Texas State Sen. Sarah Eckhardt said she was “relieved” that presumptive Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan is alright after the plane he was traveling in had a “rough landing” in Angelina County on Wednesday.
The small private plane went off the end of a runway at the Angelina County Airport in Lufkin at 8:45 a.m.
The pilot and two passengers were not injured, said Gary Letney, airport manager.
Letney said that the pilot told him that the brakes failed when he tried to land the plane. The plane went over a small road and then came to stop in a field, he said.
Records show that the plane, a 1978 Cessna 551,was owned by Baytown-based Aviation Star LLC.
Letney said Wednesday afternoon that National Transportation Safety Board investigators were at the airport and that the plane had yet to be removed from the field.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- City of Amarillo hosting virtual open house for the Amarillo Area Regional Multimodal Mobility Plan
- Amarillo VA holds a special COVID-19 vaccination clinic on MLK Day
- Hoosier metal guitarist seen in famous photo arrested in connection with Capitol riot
- Dancing trucker turns up at inauguration protest to promote peace
- Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit reaches space on 2nd try