(WNWO/NBC News) An Ohio police chief is on administrative leave and two officers have resigned following a controversial June 6 traffic stop.
Body camera footage shows the situation spiral out of control after two officers pull the cart over.
“Within minutes of issuing the traffic stop and the golf cart being stopped, the situation accelerated immediately,” described Mayor Jessica Dress.
Officers claimed the driver was going the wrong way and ran a stop sign while swerving in the road.
There were nine passengers in an eight-passenger golf cart, and the police report states there were several open containers of alcoholic beverages.
One female passenger was arrested shortly after the stop, which led to confusion from the other passengers.
When officers attempted to put the driver in custody, that’s when things escalated.
Read more: https://bit.ly/3htsRcY
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Reese’s launches big cups with pretzels because ‘we’re all feeling a little bit salty’ in 2020
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- Amarillo to see new bus shelters
- One injured after shooting near downtown Amarillo
- 4 charged in death of man found burning in Iowa ditch