Participants Gearing Up for 2017 Komen Race for the Cure

News

The 2017 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Amarillo-West Texas is Saturday, September 23rd at Amarillo National Bank Plaza 1 on South Taylor Street. 

This is our 27th year celebrating the fight against breast cancer. The event has two goals: raise awareness and raise money. 

The goal this year is to raise $187,000. 75% will stay here locally while the remaining 25% will go to Komen’s efforts nationally. 

Komen’s goal is to reduce breast cancer deaths in the U.S. by 50% by 2026. 

“That [goal] was actually developed in collaboration with the Komen scholars who help us know who to grant the money to and the scientists who are actually using those research dollars,” Executive Director Jana Hunter said. “We really are close enough in the research, not only in developing new technologies to diagnose and detect breast cancer, but also to know what does this particular breast cancer do? How does it react to different treatments? And also to help tailor treatments to a specific persons tumors.”

For more information on the event visit the Susan G. Komen West Texas website

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Video Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss