TALIHINA, Okla. (AP) — Authorities in southeastern Oklahoma say a firefighter was injured during a weekend house fire when ammunition inside the burning residence exploded and struck him in the face.
Latimer County Emergency Management officials say the firefighter was injured on Saturday while battling a blaze in the Buffalo Valley community, located about 148 miles (238 kilometers) southeast of Oklahoma City.
Officials say flames caused the ammunition to overheat and ignite, wounding a firefighter in the face and head area. The firefighter was transported to a hospital in Tulsa and his condition was not immediately available. He was not identified.
Emergency management officials say the fire department’s chief later began experiencing chest pains and was also transported to a Tulsa hospital. He was also not identified.
Authorities say the fire destroyed the residence.