A New Mexico couple is facing child abuse charges after police say their 11-month-old girl accidentally ingested heroin.
The Santa Fe New Mexican reports 23-year-old Carlos Griego and 19-year-old Shayann Martinez were charged Tuesday with felony child abuse in connection with the girl who was saved by emergency room staff.
A police report says the girl was rushed to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center on Monday afternoon when she had difficulty breathing and her face turned purple. The report says Emergency room staff gave the child anti-overdose medication and she was later responsive and breathing.
Santa Fe Police spokesman Greg Gurulé says the girl was “doing fine” and had been released from the hospital to a guardian.
It was not known if the couple had attorneys.
Information from: The Santa Fe New Mexican, http://www.santafenewmexican.com