(NBC News) President Trump on Friday called on state governors to allow churches and other places of worship to open, despite the ongoing threat of COVID-19 infections.
“I’m correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential,” Mr. Trump said.
“The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important, essential places of faith to open right now, for this weekend,” he added. “If they don’t do it, I will override the governors.”
His comments came as increasingly restless Americans are already heading to beaches and bars, looking for a break from weeks of isolation.
Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control has updated its guidance to emphasize person-to-person transmission is much more likely than through touching a contaminated surface, though medical experts are urging people not to let their guard down.
Read more: https://nbcnews.to/3bZELHr
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Music in the Garden has returned
- Mother arrested after missing Texas boy’s body found in dumpster
- Vote-by-mail expansion stayed by court ruling; local elections administrators on voting during pandemic
- Senators press colleges on coronavirus safety plans to reopen campuses
- A pair of High Plains’ high school football coaching changes