(KPRC) SpaceX successfully completed a highly-anticipated “hop test” of its Starship SN5 prototype Tuesday at thier test facility in Boca Chica, Texas.
Just before 7 p.m., in SpaceX team’s third attempt, the stainless steel spacecraft prototype, with a single SpaceX raptor engine, “hopped” nearly 500 feet into the air before coming back down and landing on its legs, as it was designed by SpaceX to do. The two-stage rocket system is also collectively called Starship.
For SpaceX, this was a big milestone in Starship’s development. Workers continue to build and test Starship prototypes, a spacecraft designed for long-term spaceflight. It would carry cargo and 100 passengers, launching atop SpaceX’s Super Heavy rocket.
The destination: Mars.
Read more: https://bit.ly/3gwh909
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Continuing on a warming trend and thunderstorms on the horizon
- Beware of scam asking you for money to prove you’re owner of your home
- Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick releases statement on unanimous passage of the First Responders Care Act
- Mother of 4 beaten to death while working at Florida motel; husband finds her left for dead
- Man fatally shot 7-year-old niece while making music video, police say