(CNN) — One cyber attack — that’s all it could take to have a significant impact on US banking.
According to analysis published Monday by the New York Fed, a single attack on any of the five most active American banks could have a trickle down effect on about 40 percent of other banking entities.
The Fed predicts payment systems could be one area of concern.
An attack could also cause panic among investors, which could result in financial loss to the banking industry and ultimately the economy.
The report notes financial services firms are about 300 times more likely to be a target for cyber crimes than other types of businesses.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- High Plains leads the state in COVID-19 cases per a thousand persons
- IN FOCUS Discussion: Native American Heritage Month
- San Antonio sets curfew for Thanksgiving holiday, weekend after
- Mexico says ‘The Mute’ gave green light to kill Americans, but victim’s father points to druglord Caro Quintero
- Group to document alleged abuse of migrants by law enforcement