(FOX NEWS) — Women may be required to register for future US military drafts.
A congressionally appointed commission will recommend that women between the ages of 18 and 25 be required to register for the draft as all young men are currently required to do.
The commission says the time is right to extend selective service system registration to include both men and women noting that it’s a necessary and fair step.
The move comes five years after the Pentagon — under former Defense Secretary Ash Carter — opened all combat roles to women.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Tracking the Tropics: Record-breaking 2020 hurricane season drawing to a close
- Traveling nurse gets shocking diagnosis while helping with coronavirus efforts in North Dakota
- Traveling abroad? The CDC now says you should get 3 coronavirus tests
- Marshall man arrested for shooting after fight at gas station
- Doctor shares video showing what COVID patients see in final moments