ELIZABETH, N.J. (WPIX) – A 3-year-old New Jersey boy died after he fell from a window at his home, landing in a fenced yard where he was attacked by the family’s dogs, officials said Thursday.
He suffered serious injuries and died at the hospital shortly after 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
An investigation found the dogs, which belonged to the victim’s family, were in the enclosed yard when the boy fell through the screen door of the Elizabeth home around 5:25 p.m., officials said.
A local animal organization secured the dogs.
Local authorities launched an investigation into the circumstances around the boy’s death. Elizabeth health officials ordered the dogs removed from the home.
“The dogs are currently quarantined, and the city is looking to have them euthanized. We have to wait until the investigation is complete,” a spokesperson for the City of Elizabeth told Nexstar’s WPIX.
Officials have not filed any criminal charges.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Austin mass shooting: 2 suspects wanted in connection with attack on 6th Street
- Passenger on Delta flight restrained after altercation with multiple people near front of plane, video shows
- Amarillo tourism industry on major rebound, predicted to pass 2019 levels
- Will eating cicadas get me high? Myths debunked
- TSA screens over 2 million passengers in a single day for the first time since March 2020