(CNN) — NASA is shedding new light on the sun’s mysteries.
The space agency revealing never-before-seen images of our star’s atmosphere capturing its powerful magnetic field and bursts of energy particles.
The unprecedented pictures are all thanks to NASA’s Parker solar probe.
Launched in 2018, it holds the record for closest-ever spacecraft to the sun and will get increasingly closer over the next six years.
So far, the probe has completed three of 24 planned trips through parts of the sun’s corona.
Scientists hope the close-up images will give new insight into how the star impacts our solar system.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Packers realize how much Rodgers has at stake this weekend
- Calmer weather with a few chances for rain
- Eric Mims named Palo Duro’s Head Football Coach
- Department of Homeland Security suspending new enrollments for Remain in Mexico program
- ‘Come with me if you want to live’: Schwarzenegger gets COVID vaccine, urges others to follow suit