(NBC News) Lawmakers in Washington, D.C. are trying to debate a police reform bill today, but Democrats are expected to block it because they say it is fundamentally flawed.
The bill – crafted by the Senate’s lone Back Republican Tim Scott – collects data and withholds federal funds from police that use chokeholds, but it does not ban them outright.
The police reform bill needs 60 votes today just to open up debate. That means 7 democrats have to cross over to allow it, but it’s not looking like that will happen.
Read more: https://nbcnews.to/2CCJdQE
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- LIVE: Biden, Harris mark 50 million COVID-19 vaccinations in the U.S.
- WATCH: Large fire breaks out in Dallas area
- Gov. Abbott gives 2 reasons why ERCOT is responsible, not a scapegoat, for storm outages
- APH reports 42 new cases of COVID-19, 3 deaths, 80 recoveries in the Amarillo Area
- ‘Whole world watched them kill him’: Daniel Prude’s brother ‘speechless’ over decision not to charge officers