(CNN) — If you received a COVID stimulus check for someone who died don’t worry about returning it.
The Internal Revenue Service is now saying those checks have been canceled.
The tax agency previously requested family members return them.
In its rush to get checks to 160 million eligible taxpayers quickly the treasury department relied on previous tax filings.
Some people had died between their last filing and when the checks were sent.
Many taxpayers also received the one-time payment through direct deposit.
Lawmakers are currently considering another payment though it would likely be more selective in who receives it.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Mother of 4 beaten to death while working at Florida motel; husband finds her left for dead
- Man fatally shot 7-year-old niece while making music video, police say
- Interview with AISD School Board Candidate Rev. Bennie Anderson
- Body count from drug cartel wars earns Mexican cities label of ‘most violent in the world’
- Paradise in limbo: Land condemnation for border wall threatens popular South Texas birding preserve