(CNN) — If you received a COVID stimulus check for someone who died don’t worry about returning it.
The Internal Revenue Service is now saying those checks have been canceled.
The tax agency previously requested family members return them.
In its rush to get checks to 160 million eligible taxpayers quickly the treasury department relied on previous tax filings.
Some people had died between their last filing and when the checks were sent.
Many taxpayers also received the one-time payment through direct deposit.
Lawmakers are currently considering another payment though it would likely be more selective in who receives it.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Stolen car crashes into jewelry store on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile
- Bernardo de Gálvez: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage with The Historic New Orleans Collection
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson: Joe Biden is ‘the best choice to lead our country’
- ‘Cake Boss’ star Buddy Valastro recovering after 2 surgeries following gruesome bowling injury
- Newsfeed Now: California wildfires; South Park visits Denver