FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A couple driving home from Florida escaped serious injury when they swerved to avoid a couch that fell from a truck on Interstate 95.
But they couldn’t avoid a $166 traffic ticket for “failing to drive in a single lane.”
Jake Singer says his girlfriend was driving Feb. 20 when she swerved to avoid the couch, their car striking a median and flipping over.
He says they were taken to the hospital, where a trooper showed up with the ticket.
A Highway Patrol spokesman said that while it’s a tough break for the couple, troopers have discretion when issuing citations, and drivers are supposed to maintain control of their vehicles.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Hideki Matsuyama wins the Masters to become first Japanese major champion
- Gov. Ralph Northam orders Virginia State Police to conduct independent investigation regarding Windsor traffic stop incident
- Georgia becomes third state to shut down Johnson & Johnson vaccine site: report
- Amarillo TxDOT “Know Before You Go” April 11-April 17 road closure report
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center hosting virtual cancer screening beginning Monday, April 12