(WLBT/NBC News) A Mississippi 12-year-old is giving back to her community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Samiya Craft is gathering and delivering cleaning supplies to elderly neighbors in Crystal Springs.
Craft said she was in a discount store one day when she saw an elderly woman struggle to find cleaning supplies.
So far she’s given out at least 50 care boxes to those in need.
Some of the supplies were donated to Craft; the 12-year-old used her own money to buy the rest, with a little help from her parents.
Craft said the project is her way of paying it forward for all the help her family received during tough times.
“My mama has an illness called silicatosis and they helped,” she says. “And my dad had a kidney transplant.”
Read more: https://bit.ly/308The3
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- IN FOCUS Discussion: Native American Heritage Month
- San Antonio sets curfew for Thanksgiving holiday, weekend after
- Mexico says ‘The Mute’ gave green light to kill Americans, but victim’s father points to druglord Caro Quintero
- Group to document alleged abuse of migrants by law enforcement
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, essential workers among list of Time Person of the Year reader poll nominees