Morning Fire at Staybridge Suites Hotel

News
On Tuesday morning, the Amarillo Fire Department responded to a fire alarm activation at the Staybridge Suites Hotel on 36 Western Plaza Dr. 
 
The first crew arrived on scene at 4:44am and discovered light smoke in the lobby of the four story hotel.  Firefighters searched the lobby with their thermal imaging camera, and discovered heat behind a wall in the kitchen. 
 
When they opened up the wall, they found fire and immediately called for a second alarm response. 
 
As additional fire crews arrived, the fire department evacuated the first two floors of the hotel. Smoke from the fire had extended to the second floor of the building.  
 
As firefighters were starting to extinguish the fire, the fire burned through a plastic water pipe in the ceiling above.  The pipe started leaking water, and assisted in extinguishment of the fire. 
 
Crews searched the rest of the building for any possible fire extension, and the fire was called under control at 5:33 a.m. 
 
As fire crews cleared smoke from the building, occupants were allowed to return inside. 
 
The Amarillo Fire Marshal’s office responded and determined the fire had started from some electrical wiring inside the wall of the kitchen.  
 
Damages are estimated at approximately $10,000.  This estimate includes damage from the fire and from the water leak.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Video Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss