(FOX NEWS) — Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Madison Bumgarner has been competing in rodeo events under the alias Mason Saunders and even won $26,560 in a team-roping competition in December, according to a story published Sunday by The Athletic.
Bumgarner told the website he has discretely competed in rodeos for a while, including in March of last year two days before pitching for the San Francisco Giants in a Cactus League spring training game. He has been roping since he was 15 or 16 years old and said he’s been at it so long that “it’s just part of who you are.”
The 2014 World Series MVP agreed to an $85 million, five-year contract with the Diamondbacks in December, about two weeks after winning the rodeo competition in Wickenburg, Arizona.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Merrick Pet Care launches largest advertising campaign in 30 years
- WATCH LIVE: Immigration correspondent discusses latest update on migrants crossing from refugee camps
- Full Snow Moon is this weekend, and you can see 3 planets at sunrise
- Not real: A look at the fake news circulating on social media this week
- Amarillo VA Health Care System opens COVID-19 vaccination walk-in clinic for all ages