AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) – Winter is settling over the High Plains with colder weather and a bustling holiday season, filled with events and activities fit for families. Parades, seasonal celebrations, live music, and other events across Amarillo will be open to the public and filling up the weeks heading into 2023.
Here’s a look at a few upcoming events around Amarillo over the winter, and other tried-and-true ways to spend a day on the High Plains.
The Amarillo Little Theatre will present “Elf, the Musical” on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from Dec. 2 through Dec. 18.
Maxwell’s Pumpkin Farm will open its third “Magical Christmas” Festival on Dec. 2, set to run through Dec. 23.
The “Christmas with the Beatles” show will come to the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts on Dec. 9 at 8 p.m.
The Lone Star Ballet will present the Nutcracker Ballet from Dec. 9 through Dec. 11 at the Amarillo Civic Center.
Hodgetown will host its second “Christmas in the Sky” event on Dec. 16 at 5:45 p.m. Fireworks are expected to begin around 7 p.m. with free admission for the public.
The Amarillo Symphony will present its “Happy Holiday Pops” show at the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts on Dec. 17 at 2 p.m.
Attractions and Landmarks
- 2nd Amendment Cowboy
- The Big Texan Steak Ranch
- Cadillac Ranch
- Ozymandias on the Plains
- Palo Duro Canyon
- The Helium Monument
- The Floating Mesa
Museums and Educational Entertainment
- Amarillo Botanical Gardens
- Amarillo Museum of Art
- Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument
- Amarillo Railroad Museum
- American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum
- The Amarillo Zoo
- Bill’s Backyard Classics
- The Don Harrington Discovery Center
- Jack Sisemore RV Museum
- Kwahadi Museum of the American Indian
- Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
- Texas Air & Space Museum
- Texas Panhandle War Memorial
- Wildcat Bluff Nature Center
Popular Venues – Sports, Music, and More
- Amarillo Civic Center Complex
- Amarillo Little Theatre, Inc.
- Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts
- Hodgetown Stadium
Other Areas and Experiences
- The 6th Street Historic District on Route 66
- ‘Collect’ a Herd of High Plains Horses
- Downtown Amarillo
- The Harrington House
- Lake Meredith
- Tascosa Drive-in Theater
For the latest updates on local events, news, and weather, check with MyHighPlains.com.