AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) – The City of Amarillo Parks & Recreation Department hosts a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Thompson Park Pool.
The project will reportedly take about eight months to complete, with the grand opening set for Memorial Day 2021.
The pool was closed because of structural concerns in December of 2018, but the Amarillo City Council approved the state-of-the-art facility in May. It will include a zero-edge entry main pool, lazy river, slides, concession/restroom building, pump-house building, a new parking lot, sidewalks, planting, and irrigation.
This new Thompson Park pool, according to the city, will be one of the largest public pools of its kind in the Panhandle.
“Thompson Park Pool is more than just an aqua park. The proposed facility will become a key feature in the Amarillo community and will offer the surrounding community a positive economic impact for decades to come,” said City of Amarillo Director of Parks and Recreation Michael Kashuba. “Our citizens are going to be amazed with this facility.”
The city council is grateful for the community support, and claims to be excited to enjoy the pool next summer.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Oklahoma elementary school principal stands barefoot in rain to get kids in school
- Lil Wayne gets backlash after showing support for Trump
- Tracking the Tropics: Disturbance has 80% chance of developing over the Caribbean
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- ADHD Awareness month, part 3: Strengths and misunderstanding the disorder