AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Texas Department of Transportation said there is likely a chance of wintry mix precipitation citing the National Weather Service, and wanted to offer drivers tips for safe winter weather travel.
TxDOT said there is a chance of winter weather on Saturday night into Sunday morning, as all areas are expected to fall below freezing.
TxDOT wanted to offer the following tips for drivers in winter weather conditions:
- Slow down. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions.
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet behind snow plows.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- If your vehicle starts to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you have regained traction. Then straighten your vehicle.
Officials with TxDOT said anticipation of potential wintry precipitation, TxDOT crews in every county across the district will be out brining roads to prevent them from icing. Crews are expected to begin work on Saturday morning.
Drivers are asked to stay at least 200 feet away from the trucks so that they have plenty of room to operate and spread the chemical. TxDOT also strongly advises drivers to stay off the roads.