AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Amarillo Convention Center and Visitors Bureau hosted a press conference about the state of Amarillo’s tourism industry.
The Amarillo Convention Center and Visitors Bureau gave an update on how Amarillo tourism is faring through the pandemic.
Executive Director Kashion Smith said while we have enjoyed lots of outdoor activities here in the last year, many of our local attractions were hit hard. Now, they are focused on driving traffic back to Amarillo.
“We’ve always been know as a pass through market where somebody stops on their way to somewhere else and I think this year, traffic change with our visitors allows us an opportunity to really engage with them in a way that they think, you know we could spend a whole weekend in Amarillo. We could spend all of our vacation dollars in Amarillo,” said Smith.
Smith said we did well last year with outdoor spaces like Palo Duro Canyon and Alibates Flint Quarries.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Local businesses celebrate Mother’s Day
- House Republicans to vote on Rep. Liz Cheney’s fate in coming week
- Dr. Fauci: Masks may be seasonal after the pandemic
- NY shooting victim: ‘I just dropped to the ground and was asking for help’
- 12-year-old boy dies in Brooklyn after complaining of head pain; police investigating