AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — We now know more information on this afternoon’s chase in west Amarillo, including the name of the suspect.
The chase started around 2:30 p.m. when a DPS Trooper tried to stop a vehicle for a traffic violation at I-40 and Soncy. DPS said the driver refused to stop and fled.
DPS told MyHighPlains.com preliminary information indicated the vehicle was stolen.
During the chase, DPS said the suspect pointed what appeared to be a firearm at law enforcement multiple times.
DPS said the suspect got out of the moving vehicle on the 3300 block of Bell Street and showed a firearm.
According to DPS, a Trooper fired once and the suspect fled on foot. After a brief foot chase, the Trooper deployed his electronic control device.
The suspect, later identified at Brandon Rains, 45, of Amarillo, was taken into custody just after 3 p.m.
Rains was wanted on a felony warrant out of Potter County for Assault on a Family Member and a warrant for Burglary of a Vehicle.
He was booked into the Randall County jail a is charged with:
- Evading Arrest in a Vehicle
- Evading Arrest on Foot
- Resisting Arrest
- Unauthorized use of a Motor Vehicle
- Aggravated Assault on a Peace Officer
Officials said no one was injured.
The incident is under investigation.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Cactus House hosts benefit concert for a local teen killed in a car accident
- Texas Downtown Association honors Hodgetown as Best Economic Gamechanger
- Time may be running out to mail your ballot depending on where you live
- As virus surges, Trump rallies keep packing in thousands
- CBP says majority of medical transfers at ports of entry are American citizens